Monday, November 10, 2008

Lemon Bars...Seriously?

Yes - Lemon Bars. Does anyone ever consider lemon bars to be a stand-out-can't-live-without dessert? NO! But let me tell you. These were delicious. I got this one from the Kraft Food and Family Magazine.

Ingredients
20 Nilla Wafers Finely Crushed
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cold margarine
1 package of cream cheese
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp lemon zest, divided (I only used 1 Tbsp. and it was still delicious)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp powdered sugar

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Mix wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup flour and brown sugar in bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press onto bottom of prepare pan and bake for 15 minutes. For a softer crust, only bake for 5 minutes.

While that is baking, beat cream cheese and sugar with a mixer until blended. Add eggs and 2 Tbsp. flour; mix well. Blend in 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice and baking powder; pour over crust.

Bake 25-28 minutes (mine needed more like 30) or until center is set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest. use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting.

This dessert is not really appealing to the eye but amazing to your taste buds. I didn't garnish the top with the extra lemon zest because I had no one to impress but myself. Originally I considered just making this in a premade Nilla Wafer pie crust (because I HATE making crusts) But I am SO glad I didn't. The crust is a huge part of the deliciousness of this dessert. I used real butter rather than margarine, and I would recommend doing that again. YUMMY!

No comments: