Monday, November 10, 2008

The Best Chicken and Rice Soup

This soup is super delicious and nice for a cold autumn or winter evening. The nice thing is it can be made to be very low in fat. I got this one from Better Homes and Gardens Kids Favorites Made Healthy.

Ingredients
1 medium onion chopped
1 stalk sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced carrot or mushroom (or both)
1 Tbsp. butter
1 14 oz. can chicken broth (fat-free if you wish)
1 can cream of chicken soup (fat-free if you wish)
1 cup water
1 6 and 1/4 oz package of chicken-flavored rice pilaf mix (rice-a-roni)
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 cups cold milk (skim if you wish)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or you can cook it with the veggies, which is easier)

Directions

In large saucepan cook onion, celery, carrots, and chicken until chicken is done.

Add broth, soup, and water. Stir in entire rice mix and pepper. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in milk and cooked chicken (if you pre-cooked it without the veggies) and heat through.

I have found that this soup is rather thick. Add more milk for desired consistency.

3 comments:

Krishelle said...

This is such a great idea! I can't wait to try some of these!

Cassidy Meine said...

Um, can people put in requests for Faux Family recipes? Or should we just wait around and see if what we REALLY want your recipe for will just show up? Maybe your should list the rules of this blog...

Heidi said...

I can't tell you how excited I was that you started a recipe blog. My brothers both married amazing cooks and I was thinking about calling you and getting some of your recipes. (Not that you have anythings else going on or anything!)

You have inspired me to think about making my own recipe blog. It's a great way to swap!! I am going to try these recipes, Chris will love the potatoes and pork. Hope things are going well. I miss you!

Love you!